"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Leaving on a Jet Plane"

This time 17 years ago, I was trying to figure out how I was going to survive the heat of the coming summer while pregnant.  I was awaiting the birth of a baby that I had longed for and thought I would never have.  I had already buried two babies and could not wrap my head around the fact that everything seemed to be going well this time.  I had no idea if we would be the parents of a son or daughter.  I was struggling with my blood pressure but was willing to do whatever I had to do to bring this baby home from the hospital.  In September, I gave birth to a beautiful blue-eyed, blond-haired, and precious baby boy.  We named him Austin and I fell immediately in love.  My heart was as full of love as it had ever been.  I decided to make Austin my career...literally.  2½ years later we had our daughter.  They have been what I have wrapped my life around ever since.

A few minutes ago, I hugged that sweet boy as he got in the car with his best friend and his best friend's mom to head out on a 10 day trip to the other side of the country.  I am thrilled that he has the opportunity and I look forward to hearing all about the trip, but that is my baby (even if he is 16).  I miss him already.  He can make me laugh more than anyone else.  He has been my buddy for all these years and I wish we were making this trip together.  He has never been away from home for this long.  He has never flown anywhere on a jet.  He has never been more than 400 miles from home.  He is going to have a lot of "firsts" in the next ten days.

As I sit here with all these mixed emotions, I realize that a day is coming when he will not live here and will have his own life elsewhere.  I am not certain that I am ready for that day.  Today has been hard enough.  I also know that this has been my job description all along...raising them to be independent.  As much as I miss him, this is a process.  This is God's way to prepare me for the day when he leaves home.  My prayer is that he has a great time on his trip, but for now, I am glad this is where he will return to.  I am enjoying every single day with my children at home because the day is coming when they will not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment