"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Don't Forget Who You Are

How many times in 16+ years have I said something to my children to correct or guide them and I suddenly have heard the Lord saying the same thing to me???  MANY MANY MANY TIMES!

This happened just recently as I was talking to my son (16) about why we put him on restriction.  Restriction for this long has NEVER happened before and I am not really certain who it has upset more.  I had talked to my sister who has three grown boys in order to get some perspective.  She shared with me that there was an incidence when they had to confront one of their sons and his answer was "Mom, I just forgot who I was".  WOW!  That hit me like a rock. I thought about that for a while and decided to talk to my son again about some poor choices that he had made which led him to being on restriction.  I told him that I wanted to remind him of who he is and who he belongs to. This is not only true about teenagers but it is VERY true about adults.

I have decided, based on this very principle, that I will surround myself with people who remind me who I am and who I belong to.  I am a Christian which means that I belong to God.  If I surround myself with people who do not care about that or who pull me away from that, I am only going to make more mistakes in judgement.  If Christians treat each other as we should, we will encourage righteousness and spur each other on in our walk with the Lord.  I am grateful when people care enough about me and my relationship with the Lord to hold me accountable to what He desires for my life.

Correcting and disciplining my children is my job but it is not always easy.  The blessing that I see that reaches beyond them is that I learn in the process.  As I remind them who they are I am reminded to not forget who I am and who I belong to.

No comments:

Post a Comment