"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Make Do Soup

I started the new year off knowing that I wanted to get back to how we use to always be.  I use to watch every dime that we spent, made do with what was on hand, and saved as much as possible.  I announced to my husband the end of last year that we were going to "make do".  That meant that I would have to use my creativity in the kitchen.  That is actually something I really enjoy doing.  We have been snowed/iced in since Monday so I have been "shopping" in my freezer and pantry.  Last night, I wanted to make soup and cornbread.  I had leftovers in the refrigerator and things in the pantry so I got creative. Here are the things I combined to make a soup that was a hit with my family:

Rice:  Bought with a coupon and at clearance price (free)
Black-eyed Peas:  Cooked and given to me by my mother (free)
Southwest Seasoning Packet:  Bought with a coupon at clearance price (25¢)
Tomato Sauce: Bought on sale (50¢)
Chopped Pepperoni: Bought with a coupon and on sale.  I did not use entire package. (50¢)
TOTAL COST:  $1.25 and there was enough to feed 8 people

I am not certain what to call it, but "Make Do Soup".  It was really tasty and along with the cornbread that I made, it filled us up on a cold night.

We have not eaten out one time this year.  My goal is to go the entire month of January without eating out.  I want us to try and only eat out on special occasions.  Hopefully, we can make do.

No comments:

Post a Comment