"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Decorations Down

I always dread the decorations coming down.  One reason is that I enjoy the "feel" they give our home.  Another reason is that I truly love the Christmas season.  I think the main reason is the time and effort it takes to get everything back to "normal".  I turned praise music on this morning and got to work before it was even daylight.  I found myself in tears as I took the little ornaments off the main tree.  I saw the sweet little things that my children have made over the years and started thinking back to the Christmas mornings when they were really little.  That particular tree is placed in front of a built in shelf that has several pictures on it.  Two of those pictures are precious to me.  One is of my son when he was a couple of months old and he is napping on my daddy.  I lost my daddy 10½ years ago and this picture stirred up a lot of memories in my mind.  The other picture is of my mama holding my daughter the day or or the day after she was born.  This picture made me realize how quickly my daughter has become a young lady.  I stood as the praise music filled the room and allowed the tears that had filled my eyes to spill over.  Even as I type this, my heart is full and so are my eyes.  We have such wonderful memories and it seems as if the years have flown by.  Although I was dreading taking the decorations down, I knew when they went up that they were temporary. I am now glad that the chore is done and I can relax.  The decorations were pretty and sparkling, but they were temporary and I could not keep them up forever.

As I thought about the decorations coming down, I thought about how we need to take the decorations down in our lives and focus on the lasting things.  I think, as women, we tend to enjoy all the "decorations" in our lives and let the things with eternal value go.  We try to impress others with what we wear, what we drive, where we live, etc.  If we would just let go of all of that "decor" and just live in the moments without missing the simple joys of each day, we would find ourselves much happier.  If we would stop focusing on the temporary decorations in our lives and focus more on the things that last, we would be different.  Sometimes, it is sad to let go of those things, but once we do, we can relax and know that we are making an eternal difference.

What decorations are you putting in your life that need to be put up so that you can make eternal investments in the lives of others?  Do you need to stop trying to decorate with your life with things that are not eternal?  Stop putting temporary things in your life and focus on the things that are everlasting.

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also"
Matthew 6:21

No comments:

Post a Comment