"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Anxiety or Faith?

I bought a book this week that I am really looking forward to learning from:
I started reading it last night and found a quote that I absolutely love:
‎"Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety or by the handle of faith"
~~Henry Ward Beecher~~
This is so true.  I have struggled with anxiety my entire life.  It, at times, has totally controlled me and debilitated me.  When I was younger, I did not know to call it anxiety, but I knew the feelings far too well.  As I got older, I found that certain things triggered episodes.  Recently in life, I have learned more and more how to NOT let it control me and to lean on the Lord in times that can potentially stir up anxiety within me.  The truth is, once we start being anxious over something we have stopped trusting the Lord to handle the situation.  We get anxious because we start having thoughts like, "I cannot handle this", " This is more than I can take", or "I cannot do this again".  We put ourselves in the place of God.  What we should say to ourselves (and to Satan) is "God can handle this", "This is not more than God can take", or "God can do this again".  Instead, when anxiety takes over, we are consumed with how we can handle something, how something will turn out, or how we can control something.  God is in control and that is what I have learned to say over and over out loud when I feel anxiety creeping up on me. 
"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."
Matthew 6:34

No comments:

Post a Comment