Today is my sister's birthday. She is almost exactly 10 years older than me but we have always been close. She has never made me feel "less than" just because she is older. Her 10th birthday was actually the day that I was brought home from the hospital. She has always said that I was the best birthday present she has ever gotten but I am certain that a new baby in the house is not what most 10 year-olds want. There are so many lessons that I have learned from my sister over the years. I would like to share them with you.
- Don't let other people define you. Being an individual is a gift from God.
- Be kind to strangers and it will lift your spirits.
- Even when you are struggling, there is always something you can do for somebody else.
- Your tone of voice carries a lot of meaning in how you make people feel.
- Don't try to lift yourself up but putting others down.
- Keep a constant conversation going with the Lord.
- Just because you are miles away from somebody, you can still cause them to feel hugged, loved, and comforted.
- Sisters do not have to hate each other. It is possible for sisters to be best friends.
- Age means NOTHING. Never ever ever grow up!
- You can face really difficult things with a great attitude.
These are just a few of the lessons my sister has taught me. She has always been a hero to me and I have always said that I want to be just like her when I grow up. Remember though, one of the things I have learned from her is NEVER EVER EVER grow up.
|My first Christmas...sitting right beside my sister|