"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Sourdough Bread

Several days ago, I posted the recipe for the sourdough starter that I like to use.  Today I am baking sourdough bread.  It is a two day process, but WELL worth it.

The morning of the day before you are planning to bake the sourdough, mix one cup of warm water with 3 Tablespoons of instant potatoes, and 3 Tablespoons of sugar.  Add that mixture to the starter and allow it to sit on the counter until later in the evening.  I usually allow it to sit until just before time for us to go to bed.  That is when you mix the dough.  Here are the ingredients:

  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn oil
  • 6 cups bread flour

Mix all but the flour together in a large mixing bowl.  Add three cups of the flour and mix well.  Now add the next three cups of flour.  I usually reserve ½ cup of the flour just in case I do not need it.  Mix it well until a soft dough forms and all the flour is well incorporated.  I use my hands for the final mixing.  Next, you grease a large bowl and place the dough in it.  Cover well and allow to rise over night.  

In the morning, take the dough out, place it on a floured board and  knead for a few minutes. 

 Divide dough into 4 equal pieces an knead each one until smooth. 

Shape each one into loaves.  Place each peace in a 8x4 bread pan that has been buttered or oiled.  

Cover with plastic wrap and then a moist towel.  Allow to rise until doubled in size.  

Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped. Turn them onto cooling racks, brush with butter, and allow them to cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment