"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In the Kitchen Today

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the grocery store and saw packages of turkey legs and turkey wings that had store coupons on them.  I was able to get them REALLY REALLY cheap....meaning for less than a dollar a package and even a few were less than 50¢.  Today, I have them in a water brine (unmeasured Kosher salt, brown sugar, and spices).  I will oven roast them later this evenings for our supper. 

I realized that I had about 7 large apples in my refrigerator and 3 large jars of natural apple sauce in the pantry (soon to be outdated).  I am going to cook the apples in my Crock-pot for several hours until I can use the immersion blender to purée them and add the jars of apple sauce.  I will add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little salt at this point and continue to cook.  I will put the apple butter in small canning jars to give as gifts along with my homemade sourdough bread throughout the next few months.

I absolutely HATE throwing out food if it can be used in a new or different way.  We eat leftovers as they are or I reinvent them.  I take my coupons, grocery budget, pantry items, freezer items, and refrigerator items as serious as I take our checkbook register.  I think it is the easiest way to save money and is also an area where many families waste money.  I know for us, our food budget can be an area where when I get lazy or careless, we see a huge dent in our money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment