"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take."
~~Proverbs 3:5-6~~
I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a friend. Jesus is Lord of my life and I strive daily to draw closer to Him. I love being a homemaker---taking care of my family and home. I enjoy couponing, cleaning, and cooking. I love to get the best deal on everything and find that yard sales and thrift stores are the perfect places for that. I have recently felt lead to write a Bible study and have been working on it in my spare time. I truly enjoy leading women's groups as we all seek to grow closer to the Lord. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about what happens as I strive do all of this.

Friday, December 30, 2011

What a Way to Wake

Since my husband has been at his new job, he and I get up at 5:30 in the mornings.  He usually gets right up and I stay behind and make the bed.  I set the coffee maker (got a new one for Christmas) the night before so the coffee will be ready when we get downstairs.  I hated our old maker but only paid $5 for it.  You had to pour it really really slowly to avoid it running all over the counter.  Sometimes it would overflow as it brewed and would make a HUGE mess.  The one that I got for Christmas has been GREAT!  It is a Mr. Coffee (my brand of choice) and has not disappointed me....YET.  

So I realized this morning that my husband had gotten up and I had apparently pressed "dismiss" instead of "snooze" on my phone.  I jumped up and went downstairs without making my bed because I was 30 minutes behind.  This is silly, but that is always a bad way to start a day.  I get downstairs to a counter full of water, a few coffee grounds, and a half full coffee pot.  WHAT?  It had failed!  I started to figure out what could have gone wrong and started a new pot.  I then realized that "mother nature" had arrived.  GREAT!  I started packing my husband's lunch for him to take to work.  I took his bag of lunch to the place where he leaves everything he needs to take out the door when he leaves.  Since I had hurried to the kitchen to prepare our coffee and breakfast, I had not turned any lights on anywhere else.  As I sat his lunch on the table, his new Mag Lite flashlight fell and narrowly missed my toe.  The sound of it falling scared me.  I go back to the kitchen to start his breakfast and, THANKFULLY, the second pot of coffee had brewed.  I poured us both a cup and finished breakfast.  As I was walking back up the hallway, my husband emerges from the bathroom and says, "Good morning!"  If he ONLY knew that I had pretty much spent the first 30 minutes of my day in a tizzy.  I just laughed.  As I started sharing with him how it had all unfolded, he laughed along with me.  Things could be much much worse, and I truly realize that.

  
I have a friend that had surgery for colorectal cancer yesterday.  She will start MAJOR chemo treatments in a few weeks.  I have been following a couple of blogs where two different mom's are watching there sons fight for their lives.  One is an infant and one is about 5 years old.  I saw online earlier about a teenage boy who died on Christmas day from a heart condition.  I know a wife that is fighting to save her marriage. I know of families that are struggling to keep their home.  I know of a man that lost his wife and within a couple of days his son also passed away.  I know how blessed I am and if my bed does not get made, the coffee maker runs over, and I drop a flashlight.  It is NOT a big deal.  I am sure any of the people in these situations would love to trade places.  I first complained about what I woke up to, but I now think about all of the people I mentioned here and I have to know that they woke to much bigger things.

I am going to make my bed and get another cup of coffee.  I will also stop and thank the Lord for the overflowing coffee pot, unmade bed, and nearly broken toe.  I am now grateful for starting my day that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment