I wanted to tryout my new Crock-pot that my daughter gave me for Christmas. With a freezer full of various meats, I decided to figure out something using some cubed steak (venison). Here is what I did:
(1) I soaked the venison in buttermilk for about an hour.
(2) I then mixed 1/2 pack of Grill Mates McCormick's Southwest Marinade (just used it dry from the pack) with one cup of flour.
(3) I patted the venison pieces with the flour mixture and quickly browned it on the stove top...just to get the outside browned.
(4) I sliced a medium yellow onion in rings
(5) I layered the browned meat with the onions in the Crock-pot
(6) I opened a can of Mexican style stewed tomatoes and used the immersion blender to blend them so it would be more like a sauce.
(7) I poured the can of tomatoes over the top of the steak and onions, put the lid on the Crock-Pot and set it to cook on low for 8 hours (only because the 6 hour setting is for high). I will allow it to cook about 6 hours and serve over rice.
UPDATE: I decided to steam some broccoli to put with the steak when serving. I also decided to serve it over Vigo Yellow Rice with a dollop of sour cream. I think "Swiss" steak slowly became "Spanish" steak.